At least 7 people of a marriage party died and few others were injured seriously after a van carrying them has fallen into a deep gorge in Tantikonda ghat in Gokavaram mandal of the East Godavari district today.
The incident reportedly occurred around 3.30 am in the wee hours today after breaks got failed while the mini-bus was returning from Venkateswara Swamy temple atop the hill. All the victims are said to belong to Thakur Palem in Gokavaram mandal.
According to the police, the condition of four others is said to be critical as they are undergoing treatment in Government hospital. Those dead are identified as:
- Kambala Bhanu – Gokavaram
- Simhadri Prasad – Thankur Palem
- Ella Divya Laxmi (Diwan Cheruvu)
- Chaganti Mohan (Gadhrada)
- Pachhakuri Narasimha (Gangam Palem