The Secretary, Animal Health, Dairy Development & Fisheries department requested the Director-General of Police to issue suitable instructions to all Superintendents of Police and Commissioners of Police to allow vehicles carrying fish and feed. A cell with respect to fisheries-related issues has been set at the police control room in the DGP office in Hyderabad.
Meanwhile, District Collectors were requested by the Commissioner of Fisheries Dr C Suvarna to take up the following actions:
- To form a committee with the officials of Revenue, Police, Municipality, Panchayats and Fisheries Departments to coordinate and monitor issues of fishing and marketing.
- To identify tanks periodically which are necessary to be harvested fully or partially during this lockdown period.
- Fishing rights shall be permitted to be given in such seasonal tanks which are necessary to be harvested.
- To encourage local sales i.e, within the village and allow the surplus to be marketed in Mandal, district head-quarters or to the wholesale markets in Hyderabad.
- To instruct the Municipal Commissioners concerned to permit the selling of fish at designated places/markets.
- To maintain social distance and proper arrangements for a hand wash at fishing and marketing places, encourage the use of masks and gloves and fix selling times.
- To permit vehicles used for transport of fish and feed.
- To permit operation of fish markets and ice plants to the extent of fish harvested from seasonal tanks or to identify open places where existing fish markets are congested.
As a result of the above, the fish is in regular supply, though comparatively less than the normal circumstances, in all parts of the state.
With regard to the fish supplies into the GHMC area, the District Fisheries Officers of Hyderabad, Rangareddy, Sangareddy and Medchal Malkajigiri are regularly monitoring the supplies from other parts of the state. The outlets run by the Telangana State Fishermen Co-operative Societies Federation Ltd., are also fully functioning since April 2, 2020, and catering to the needs of the local consumers. Current demand for fish is being met by the vendors and fish is available in all areas of the GHMC.
If there are any issues with respect to the transportation of fish to the markets, same may be raised with local police or control room functioning at DGP office or office of Commissioner of Fisheries for taking necessary action, urged the Commissioner.