Chief Minister Chandrashekhar Rao has laid a foundation stone for Gattu irrigation project at Jogulamba Gadwal District here today.
The project with 2.8 TMC storage capacity is aimed at filling 41 tanks and irrigating over 33,000 acres. The government has sanctioned Rs. 553.98 crores through GO MS No.60 dated May 31, 2018.
The CM who arrived here in a helicopter went around inspecting the progress of the work. Engineers explained him the technicalities and other work in progress. He was accompanied by the Ministers T.Harish Rao, Jupally Krishna Rao, C.Lakshma Reddy, Engineers and other public representatives from the district. Later, he addressed a public meeting in the evening wherein he lamented the Congress party for creating hurdles to projects in the state.
CM said that the project which is estimated to cost Rs.553.98 crores need to be completed at a rapid speed fulfilling the long wait bringing light in distressed families. Farmers came in large numbers to convey their sincere thanks to the CM.
HISTORICAL FACTS BEHIND GATTU LIFT IRRIGATION PROJECT
- Dr YS Rajasekhar Reddy sanctioned the Gattu High-level Canal without allocating a single pai.
- Kiran Kumar Reddy announced on September 14, 2012, that water will be lifted from Ryalapadu to fill Gattu mandal tanks. No permission was given to the project.
- Prior to 2014 elections, TDP Govt issued GO No.3 Dt.22.01.2014 for 3000 acres ayacut stabilisation with 0.31 TMCs water and also for surveying.
- Survey has not taken place, project plan has not been made, DPR was not prepared, tenders were not called for until 2016.
- The first Telangana government has issued GO Rt No. 461 May 3, 2016, sanctioning Rs. 52.46 lakhs for survey etc.
- After the survey, an additional 5,000 acres, earmarked for the solar power project, was added to the existing ayacut of 25,000 acres thereby increasing total ayacut to 33000 acres.