The country has achieved tremendous progress in building National Highways across the country during the last few years.
The Union Ministry of Road Transport and Highways informed in brief that:
- Over the last 7 years, the length of National Highways has gone up by 50% from 91,287 km as of April 2014 to 1,37,625 km as of 20 March 2021.
- The total budgetary outlay increased by 5.5 times, from INR 33,414 Cr in Financial Year 2015 to INR 1,83,101 Cr in Financial Year 2022.
- The sanctioned amount has increased by 126% in Financial Year 2021 over the last Financial Year of 2020 despite Covid-19 related impact. Sanctioned length in kilometres has also increased by 9% in Financial Year 2021 over Financial Year 2020.
- The average annual project award length during Financial Year 2015 to Financial Year 2021 has increased by 85% compared to FY10 to FY14
- The average annual construction length during FY2015 to FY2021 has increased by 83% compared to FY2010 to FY2014
- The cumulative cost of ongoing project works has increased by 54% at the end of Financial Year 2021 compared to Financial Year 2020 as of March 31.