The Cyclonic Storm ‘NISARGA’ over the East-central Arabian Sea moved to move north-northeastwards and likely to cross north Maharashtra and adjoining south Gujarat coast between Harihareshwar and Daman, close to Alibagh (Raigad District, Maharashtra) by today noon.
It is very likely to intensify into a Severe Cyclonic Storm with a maximum wind speed of 100-110 kmph gusting to 120 kmph. The government of Maharashtra and Gujarath have issued warnings to its fishermen and asked them not to go into the sea as the sea is experience severe turbulence at this hour.
Currently, it lay centred East-central Arabian Sea near latitude 16.3°N and longitude 71.3°E, about 280 km west-northwest of Panjim (Goa), 350 km south-southwest of Mumbai (Maharashtra), 300 km south-southwest of Alibagh (Maharashtra) and 560 km south-southwest of Surat (Gujarat).
The Sea condition will be High to Very High over the east-central Arabian Sea and along & off Maharashtra & Goa coasts till tomorrow, the 3rd June evening. The Sea condition is very likely to be very rough to High over the northeast Arabian Sea along & off south Gujarat coast on June 3.
(iv) Storm Surge Warning:
A storm surge of about 1-2 meters height above astronomical tide is very likely to inundate low lying areas of Mumbai, Thane and Raigad districts and 0.5-1 meter height above the astronomical tide likely to inundate low lying areas of Ratnagiri district during the time of landfall.
(i) Fishermen Warning
Fishermen are advised not to venture into East-central and Northeast Arabian Sea and along &off Karnataka-Goa-Maharashtra-south Gujarat coasts till June 3.
(ii) Damage Expected:
- Major damage to thatched houses/ huts. Rooftops may blow off. Unattached metal sheets may fly.
- Damage to power and communication lines.
- Major damage to Kutcha and some damage to Pucca roads. Flooding of escape routes.
- Breaking of tree branches, uprooting of large avenue trees. Damage to banana and papaya trees. Large dead limbs blown from trees.
- Major damage to coastal crops.
- Damage to embankments/ salt pans.
(iii) Fishermen Warning & Action Suggested:
- Total suspension of fishing operations.
- Mobilise evacuation from low lying areas.
- Judicious regulation of rail and road traffic.
- People in affected areas to remain indoors.
- Movement in motorboats and small ships unsafe.