The Telangana State has introduced for the first time in India, a new Building Permission Approval and Self Certification System (TS-bPASS) first-of-its-kind for issuing building and layout permissions to put in place an effective mechanism to enable instant permissions and registration of buildings avoiding hassles to landowners or property developers.
The decision comes in view of the plight of the common man wishing to build a house for himself avoiding the time-consuming approval process at present. The features that make it unique and revolutionary are as follows:
- Plot Size up to 75 Sq.Yds – Instant Registration. No permission required.
- Plot sizes up to 600 Sq. Yds – Instant Approval.
- Above 600 Sq.Yds Residential, all Non Residential Buildings and Layouts – Single Window Approvals in 21 Days. Deemed Approval proceedings auto-generated beyond 21 days.
- Accessible via – Website, Mee Seva, Mobile APP, Citizen Service Centres.
- A minimal application form that is easy to fill on a mobile app with instant online payment.
- Around 95% of building permissions fall under Registration & Instant approval category.
- First in the country to implement the State Level approval system including Gram Panchayats.
- No interaction with officials for instant categories and quick time-bound clearances for single-window category ensuring no delays in the process.
- Several safeguards, safety clauses, have been incorporated in the system to avoid misuse.
TS-bPASS system is quite revolutionary in the sense that the applicants can apply and download their building permissions instantly. Unlike the Self-certification based approval systems of US, EU regions, TS-bPASS is getting away with involvement of Licensed Technical Personnel in the approval process which has been a tooth-aching problem for applicants thereby endowing trust on the citizens.
In India even though Delhi, Mumbai and few other cities in India tried towards Self Certification based systems, they have certain limitations like they are either partial systems used for only drawing scrutiny or only application receiving interfaces or are limited to a specific project or building categories. NOC’s are still to be obtained separately and submit with the application. Resultantly, their systems couldn’t create much of impact to the applicants or builders eco-system – especially in timelines & departmental involvements.
The Salient features of TS-bPASS are as below:
- First and Fully Automated – Self Certification System in India
- Complete Transparency & Citizen Ownership
- NOC’s provided under a single roof
- Common rules & provisions across the state
- State and District Level TS-bPASS Committees for monitoring
- Central Support System for applicant queries & Chasing Cell for departmental follow-ups.
- The post Verification process for scrutiny of all applications submitted under instant registration and approval categories are done in a simplified and time-bound manner.
- Centralized and Secured Third Party Verification System via QR Code & Hologram for verifying the proceedings issued under TS-bPASS.
A common man wishing to build a house for self is no longer required to have a personal interaction with town planning authorities due to the unique self-certification, instant registration, and approval model of TS-bPASS. Having deliberated on its uniqueness and significance, the Telangana State legislative assembly has unanimously passed the Telangana State Building Permission Approval and Self Certification System (TS-bPASS) bill.
Pilot based testing is happening and applications are being received across the state in most of the ULB’s as given below:
- Total 1000+ applications received so far. 600+ fall in less than 75 categories, 300+ in less than 600 categories. 12 files in single window category
- Major Districts from which more applications came in that order: Khammam, Warangal, Mahabubnagar, Kamareddy, Siddipet, Vikarabad and so on.