The State Election Commissioner Parthasarathi emphasized on the need to plug the loopholes and shortcomings in conducting the GHMC elections proposed to be held in February next.
Parthasarathy was conducting a review meeting on the preparedness of the forthcoming GHMC Elections with Commission GHMC DS Lokesh Kumar, Additional CEO GAD (Elections) Jyothi Buddha Prakash, and Senior officials today.
Following points have been covered in the meetings:
- Discussed pre-election activities involve inter-linked stages in a relay pattern between the Government and GHMC and State Election Commission
- Directed to make a plan of action to train the GHMC officials’ right from Zonal to Circle level to acquaint software applications in the Te-Poll application, developed by the CGG for preparation and publication of Electoral Rolls, randomisation of polling and counting personnel and election process etc.
- It should be aimed at using maximum technology (ICT) for expeditious, error-free and transparent election processes with the help of CGG team, including certain innovations like Face Recognition Software and other pilots, after thorough scrutiny
- In the earlier GHMC elections 2016, the poll per cent reported as 45.29%. To improve the poll percentage the Commissioner directed to prepare an action plan and organise intensive Voters’ Awareness Campaigns for improving the voter percentage, by involving NGOs, RWAs and other civil society organisations.
- Precautionary guidelines to be followed during the election in view of COVID-19 pandemic on par with the guidelines issued by ECI for the ensuing GHMC elections.
- In view of COVID-19 pandemic, the elaborate discussion was made whether to hold elections by using EVMs or Ballot Boxes in ensuing elections. The decision has to be taken.
- It is decided to fix 800 voter strength per polling station in the context of Covid-19
- Advised to take the Advance action to be initiated for accessing and obtaining the employees’ information in advance from GHMC area as well as surrounding Districts, so as to draft them as polling personnel and also for building the employee database.
- Decided to have a meeting in the 2nd weeks of October 2020 with Zonal Commissioners and Deputy Commissioners on preparedness and to chalk out a plan of action to be taken for GHMC Elections.
- Requested Additional CEO to issue instructions to the District Collectors & District Election Officers and EROs concerned that, for quick disposal of inclusions, deletions and transpositions, if any, ordered by the EROs concerned under continuous updation of the Assembly Electoral Rolls till the issue of election notification by the State Election Commission.