The government has ordered for the evacuation of people residing around the LG Polymers as the styrene gas said to have leaked for the second time again a few hours ago. The death toll reached to 10 with 2 people including a 4-year-old child breathing her last.
However, a team of experts that rushed to the spot declared that they had controlled the leakage. A tense atmosphere has prevailed with people continued to run helter-skelter. The entire area is reverberating with horns, sirens, people shoutings, screamings etc.
The Greater Visakha Municipal Corporation (GVMC) has asked people to stay indoors and use wet clothes as a face mask and not to get panicky in this situation while evacuation of people are underway and cops asking people to vacate their residences considering the gravity of the situation. Dead bodies of People and animals were seen stern around everywhere on streets and villages.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi
Chief Minister YS Jaganmohan Reddy had rushed to the Visakha for supervising rescue operations. Prime Minister Narendra Modi who spoke to the CM assured of all help and support in this regard. NDRF teams were pressed into service for rescue operations. PM has even called for an emergency Cabinet-level meeting this noon to assess the situation in Vizag.
Chandra Babu Naidu
Centre permitted the Telugu Desam Party president and former Chief Minister Chandra Babu Naidu to go to Visakhapatnam following which he left Hyderabad.
K Chandrasekhar Rao
Telangana chief minister K Chandrasekhar Rao expressed shock over the gas leak incident at Visakhapatnam in Andhra Pradesh and offered condolences to the families of the deceased.
Naval team with about 50 breathing sets and associated portable air compressor along with two Naval ambulances are assisting the SDRF team at villages affected by a gas leak near LG Polymers.
LG Polymers Statement
Meanwhile, the management of LG Polymers responding to the incident said in a statement: “We are currently assessing the extent of the damage on residents in the town and are taking all necessary measures to protect residents and employees in collaboration with related organizations,” LG Chem, the owner of LG Polymers, said in a statement.LG Chem said that the gas emitted in the leak can cause nausea and dizziness when inhaled. It said it was seeking to ensure casualties received treatment quickly. It was investigating how the leak occurred”.